How to Become a Science, Mathematics or Technology Teacher in Texas
In order to be recommended for teacher certification at this university, a candidate must fulfill three basic requirements:
- Have a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university which includes an academic major and teacher training courses,
- Complete teacher training through an approved program, and
- Complete successfully the appropriate teacher certification tests for the subject and grade level that the candidate wishes to teach.
Additional information on the requirements to become a teacher in Texas can be obtained at the State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC) website: http://tea.texas.gov/About_TEA/Laws_and_Rules/SBEC_Rules_(TAC)/State_Board_for_Educator_Certification_Rules_-_Texas_Administrative_Code/
This website also provides information on the resources available to help students pay for a teacher training program. SBEC has approved three levels of teacher certification for regular educators:
- Early childhood to grade 6 which includes foundation subjects and enrichment areas such as art, PE, and music,
- Grade 4-8 which includes the foundation areas only, and
- Grade 8-12 certification.
Students can find information on the different certifications at the official Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES
) Web site: http://texes.ets.org/
. Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi offers several degrees leading to a number of these teacher certifications. The College of Education (COE) offers several degrees leading to teacher certification. The College of Science and Technology offers bachelor's degrees leading to teacher certification in the sciences, mathematics and technology at the 4-8 and the 8-12 levels.