What you will find on this page are links to any assignments focused on exam preparation. This information is posted on Wiki so that you may return to it while preparing for your history exams and writing assignments.
A Word of Caution: Please know that the following material may be incomplete. This compilation is merely a starting point for you to begin approaching the material! Using your lecture notes and textbook, it is your responsibility to evaluate this material and include additional information !!
- Exam Study Guide: Exam 1 Study Guide
- Essay outline: Essay Outline Handout
- Sec 442: Essay Question Practice
(1) Standing Bear’s Footsteps (PBS, 2012), available at http://www.pbs.org/video/2288017765/. 57 minutes
(2) “The Tragedy of Wounded Knee (The Ghost Dance),” 17 minutes
(3) “A Tribe Called Red—The Manawan Session,” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0e4d1yt7x8
Links used in lecture:
Paiute Native American Shaman Wovoka and the Ghost Dance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI0Jfdkq4z8
Native American Spirits - Ghost Dance Movement https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L1Fslf3g2M&feature=related
Analysis of “NDNs? From All Directions” https://laurenlovesllamas.wordpress.com/2012/10/31/ndns-from-all-directions-a-tribe-called-red/
- Starita, Joe. I Am a Man:” Chief Standing Bear's Journey for Justice. New York: St. Martin’s Griffin, reprint ed., 2010
An audio version is available on AUDIBLE via an Amazon account.'
- Archambault II, David. “Taking a Stand at Standing Rock.” New York Times, August 24, 2016. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/25/opinion/taking-a-stand-at-standing-rock.html.
Essay Outline Worksheet
Key Terms and Ideas
Angel Island Group Study Materials
- “Living the American Dream: Hareth Andrade,”Huffington Post, June 4, 2015, accessible at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/national-council-of-la-raza-/living-the-american-dream_b_7514360.html.
- Carolina Canizales, “A DREAMer? in San Antonio, Ready to Contribute,” Rivard Report, May 17, 2012, accessible at http://www.therivardreport.com/a-dreamer-in-san-antonio-ready-to-contribute/.
- “Virtual Tour of Angel Island Immigration Station Through the Eyes of Dan Quan,” by the Angel Island Immigration Station Foundation (2010), available at
- Aloe Blacc, “Wake Me Up,” available at
- Exam III Study Guide
- Triad K "Big Picture" Ideas
- Key terms for Exam 3
- Essay outline sheet: Essay Three Outline
- Section 442 outline: Sec 442 Outline
- Section 460 outline: Brainstorming for Blowout
- Blowout outline: Blowout Complete Outline
Videos and articles:
The Students Demands. Kelly Simpson, “ East L.A. Blowouts: Walking Out for Justice in the Classrooms ,” KCET, March 7, 2012, https://www.kcet.org/departures - columns/east - la - blowouts - walking - out - for - jus tice - in - the - classrooms . (3) Elaine Woo , “Sal Castro Dies at 79; L.A. teacher played role in 1968 protests,” Los Angeles Times , April 15, 2013, http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la - me - sal - castro - 20130416 - story.html . (4) Julie Chang, “ Does a new Texas textbook whitewash Mexican - American history? ” Austin American - Statesman , June 10, 2016, http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/sta te - regional - govt - politics/does - a - new - texas - textbook - whitewash - mexican - americ/nrdYt/ . Watch (1) “Sal Castro & the 1968 East LA Walkouts,” directed by Pat Morrison and produced by Alison Sotomayor, National Hispanic Media Coalition, Impact Awards Gala, 2006, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= - 3TKnj0fXZs . (15 minutes) (2) “Taking Back our Schools,” episode 3 of Chicano! History of the Mexican American Civil Rights Movement , directed by Publ ic Broadcasting Service, 1996, T.V. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY6cytReBm8 (54 minutes) (3) “Sandra Robbie honored at Awards 40.” Sandra Robbie directed a film about the Mendez v. Westminster case in Orange County, CA. This clip gives an overview of the case. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAiqsKegJjA (4 minutes) (4) “Austin Revealed: Chicano Civil Rights ‘Desegregation & Education.’” KL RU TV, 2016 . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y30BmZ9bJDo (11 minutes)