- Who? writer, English philosopher
- What? 'Social Contract': power is given to the govt. by the consent of the governed; right to revolt, if it's not working for us, then we have the right to change it (life, liberty, property) physical & political rights, natural rights, influenced by dislike of divine right -- kings were problematic;
- When? Born 1632 -- 1704, 1660
- Where? England
- Why is this concept important? Historically significant?
- somewhat formed the current govt. as to why it is they way it is now - Declaration of Independence - American Revolution - Natural Rights - Right to revolt -