This is Frederick Douglass. He is a pretty big deal.
- A Memorable Speech: What is his argument?
- Get into your writing groups!
- With your groups, help one another to analyze the speech you just read/heard.
As a group, answer the following questions:
- What reasons does Douglass offer to make the case that the Fourth of July is not meant for the American slave?
- Why is his speech radical? What truths does it reveal about American society?
- How might his speech relate to social issues in current American society?
William Lloyd Garrison
- What about William Lloyd Garrison? Who was he? Why does his perspective matter?
- So, how does Douglass and Garrison's perspective on slavery help shape our understanding about the abolitionists point of view?