Historical Context Matters!
- Questions, Comments, Concerns?
- Getting the Context...What IS Context?
- Historical context is the political, social, cultural, and economic setting for a particular idea or event. In order to better understand something in history, we must look at its context--those things which surround it in time and place and which give it its meaning. In this way, we can gain, among other things, a sense of how unique or ordinary an event or idea seems to be in comparison to other events and ideas.
So, why is it important to understand this?
- Le Critical Analysis essay - the Historical Context should be half of the essay!
- For every history essay, you will need to explain the background fully; helps the reader of exam essay to understand why events unfolded the way they did in a particular time period.
- Finding the Historical Context in Chapter 2: Bacon and Berkeley
- Today we will focus on the first half of Hollitz's essay: Revolt on the Virginia Frontier AND Wooster's class lecture on Colonial Virginia
- So, what exactly should we all be getting out of the lecture and text, so far?
- Let's figure it out together!
- So, now that you have a firm grasp on those issues... use these prompts to help you find evidence in the primary source documents!