Investigating the past...
- Questions, concerns, issues?
- History Quiz#3 - Bache vs. Hamilton!
- How are we all feeling about Writing Project 2?
- Have you selected your topic?
- Is there any concern about where you are going with this?
'''To help you understand what you are going to be doing in Writing Project 2... let's discuss a topic you have some familiarity with.
When the Past Speaks to the Present...
- A Controversial topic: Hemings and Jefferson
- Get into your Writing Groups!
- So, why do you think this story remains the subject of debate?
- What does this story say about American society in the 18th century?
- Since this past Spring, this article has also been shared online and sparked a debate on a social media. Is this a credible source? Does it raise some valid points?
- Why does this narrative matter to Americans today? https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/thomas-jefferson-s-enslaved-mistress-sally-hemings-living-quarters-found-n771261
What was the purpose of this discussion today? In your Research Log, you will need to include a variety of sources that represent a unique or different view of your topic. Sources that have multiple perspectives on your topic will serve you best as you prepare Writing Project 3 in the final weeks of the semester.
Announcements and reminders:
- Spring 2018 Registration is around the corner! Use these Spring 2018 Registration Resources to help you get prepped!
- Next Monday, October 23rd: History Reading Quiz #5 Helper vs. Fitzhugh Contending Voices, Chapter 12!
- To help you get the most out of your Contending Voices chapter reading, use this:CV Reading Guide
- This guide will help you to read the text critically and "pull out" key ideas, concepts, and better understand the conflict between the 2 historical figures etc.
- Need some additional guidance on Writing Project 2 ? Come by and see Ms. Bray and I during office hours! We are here to help!
- Make sure you bring your lecture notes with you to Seminar on Wednesday! You will need them to get in on preparation for Exam 2!
- Need some additional guidance on the material for History? Here is the Supplemental Instruction Schedule for our learning community this semester: https://falcon.tamucc.edu/wiki/JenniferBray/DanielsScheduleTriadEFall2017