So, how are we all doing?
- Questions, comments, concerns about the learning community?
- Questions about any of the issues/topics we discussed last class meeting?
- Take out a piece of paper and something to write with. :) I want to know what you think!
So, are there any set definitions of the concept of truth?
- So, what's the Difference?: Primary vs. Secondary Sources
- Authors of secondary sources use primary sources to interpret the past.
- What do primary sources tell us about the past?
- How are we certain that we can trust these sources?
Get into groups of five and no larger! You choose your group mates!
- Each group will receive a handout with the following questions.
1.) Who is the intended audience?(The term "Audience" can best be defined as a reader, viewer, listener and consumer.)
2.) What is the artist's purpose? What are they trying to get their audience to think, feel, believe, say and/ or do?
3.) What is the artist's message? In what ways has it changed over time?
- Let's take a look at something you may be familiar with. Your task as a group is to ANALYZE the image and to share with your classmates your interpretation. I am not looking for specific responses to these questions, I just want to know what you think!
Announcements and Reminders:
- READ! and take some notes! Remember, you should always read the chapters outlined in Dr. Wooster's syllabus BEFORE you attend class. Doing so will help clarify your understanding of the lecture!
- Here is the Supplemental Instruction Schedule for our learning community this semester: Spring 2017 SI Schedule
- History Reading Quiz #1 is scheduled for next Tuesday, Jan. 31st and will cover material Chapter 2 of Contending Voices Bacon vs. Berkeley. This multiple choice quiz will be given at the BEGINNING OF Seminar class time. Be prepared! Come by office hours if you have specific questions about the reading!
- History Quiz is on Thursday, Feb 2nd Dr Wooster will providing a study guide for this quiz. He will distribute the study guide in large lecture today. He has also provided a copy of the review on Blackboard and I have it for you here: Spring 2017 Quiz Study Guide Note: All of the quiz dates FOR THE ENTIRE SEMESTER have been listed on the Sidebar of this page. Click on the link called LCE Major Due Dates and you will find them there along with other important dates!
- Blue Books are due to me by the end of the day on Tuesday, Feb 7th You will need THREE of them in order to take your exams. Turning these in on time will count as your 1st lecture supplement grade(= you earn points toward your History and Seminar grades for doing this!) I will be keeping a list of who has turned them in.