The Spirit of the New... (Bohemia has it's day!)
- Questions, comments, concerns?
- What does it mean to be Modern?
- Addressing the "Millenial Question"
- Do you agree with the claims Simon Sinek makes in this video about Millenials?
- What generational differences do you see between yours and the older generations?
- Like the Millenial Generation, the Bohemians represented a youthful generation that challenged the traditional values and social practices of the older generation. Let's spend some time examining and discussing how Randolph Bourne describes the power of Youth and it's impact upon the development of the youth culture of Bohemian NYC Greenwich Village.
- In what ways can you relate to what Bourne argues about Youth in 1912? What similarities in values do you see between your generation and this one?
Reminders and announcements:
- An in-depth discussion about Major Issues for Debate will take place on Thursday, October 5th in Seminar.
- In preparation for Thursday's Seminar class meeting, you need to read the following pages from your Reacting to the Past: Greenwich Village Gamebook pages 3-10 (which details the Game Mechanics), 13-50(Historical Background of Suffrage and Labor Movements) and 51-67(Background on Bohemia) and 69-71 (Major Issues for Debate).
- You will need to have familiarity with the time period, the setting in which the game/debates will take place. These pages are CRITICAL to understanding your role in the game, how the game will be played, and the importance and goals of the factions. Based on your character, EVERYONE should read these pages. Doing so will help you gain a better understanding of the game and how to advance in it.
- Here is what you need to be prepared to do for Thursday's 10/5 Seminar class: Bring your role sheets, and game book. It is VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR CHARACTER'S VIEWS AND BELIEFS! You will need to discuss them in depth with your peers on Thursday!
- You can also begin earning PIP's (Personal Influence Points) on Thursday as well. Review the lists of ways you can earn PIP's provided in your Gamebook and come to class prepared to earn your individual points!
- Supplemental Instruction Sessions Fall 2017
- SI Leader: Jeffrey Schaffer
- Mondays: 1:00-1:50pm Island Hall 164
- Tuesdays: 3:00-3:50pm O'Conner 133
- Wednesdays 2:00-2:50 Center for Science 115
- Office hours: in the CASA building either in room 107 or 108.
- Mondays 2:00-3:50pm
- Wednesdays 3:00-4:50pm
- Fridays 12:00-1:50pm