Discuss "Intercultural Communication Competence" by Spitzberg
1.What does Spitzberg mean by a "social chameleon?" (354)
2. How does motivation play into intercultural competence? (355)
3. What are efficacy beliefs? Are they always task specific? (356)
4. Can you think of an example of when someone may engage in a cost/benefit analysis as Spitzberg describes? (356)
5. How and why does Spitzberg use the metaphor of international espionage? (358)
6. Can you think of an example of "conversational coordination?" (358)
7. What is "conversational composure?" (358)
8. Based on Spitzberg theory of episodic system, does it matter with whom you practice speaking English? Why or why not? (359-361)
9. What is a "reserve of competence?" (360) Can you think of an example?
10. Spitzberg discusses the needs of autonomy and intimacy. Are these really two fundamental human needs, as he suggests? (363)
11. What role does stress play in lowering intercultural communication competence? (364)
12. In summary, what role does self-esteem play in intercultural communication competence?