1) Introduction of Free Will Essay assignment; and
2) Discussion of Chisholm.
Chisholm 1. Which theory of free will does Chisholm present in the first two sections of this article? Define that theory in your own words.
2. What is the standard “stratagem” used to demonstrate that determinism and moral responsibility are consistent? How does Chisholm argue against this strategy?
3. Does Chisholm think that indeterminism and moral responsibility are consistent? Why or why not?
4. What are the two kinds of causation identified by Chisholm? Use Aristotle’s quote about the staff, stone, and hand to distinguish between the two kinds of causation.
5. Chisholm identifies two major objections to the idea of humans causing events. Summarize those two objections in your own words.
6. Distinguish between the ‘Hobbist approach’ and the ‘Kantian approach’ to relationship between desires and actions. Which approach does Chisholm agree with more and why?
7. According to Chisholm, can any fields that study human behavior (like Psychology or Sociology) ever be considered “sciences”? Why or why not?
8. The final sections contain a discussion about desires that “incline without necessitating” (p. 33). What does it mean to “incline”? What does it mean to “necessitate”? And what does it mean to “incline without necessitating?”