In Class: Discuss Rediker, Introduction and Chapter One.
PDF copy of Rediker's Introduction
PDF copy of Rediker's Chapter One
To learn a little more about historian Marcus Rediker, here are a couple of links to videos where he discusses this text and his work in depth.
Guided Reading Questions:
- What period of time does this text focus on? Why? Who are the subjects of this book?
- Why does Rediker focus on British and American ships? Centers of trade? What rationale does he offer fort this?
- In what ways were captive people able to maintain some humanity, agency?
- Why does he call his work, a human history?
- How was the diagram of the slave ship Brooks a tool for terror and eventually, liberation?
- How are figures like Captain Tomba, "the boatswain", the "unknown man" symbols of resistance?
- What drew individuals to the slave trade? In what specific ways did they stand to benefit from the institution?
- What mechanisms of control did slavers utiltize to maintain order on the ship?
- In what ways did slavers upon various ships, dehumanize their captives? How does the notion of human wastage as Rediker calls it, figure into their business plan?