Discuss The Declaration of Independence, Remember the Ladies, and the Petition of Slaves.
Questions to get us started:
1. How do each of the documents address the issue of tyranny? Do you agree with Abigail Adams' assertion that all men would be tyrants if they could?
2. Why does each document evoke God (or Jesus or Providence or Christianity)? Is this an effective tool?
3. What do you think is meant by this sentence in the Slave Petition? "Your honors need not to be informed that a life of slavery like that of your petitioners, deprived of every social privilege, of everything requisite to render life tolerable is far worse than non-existence."
4. Finish this sentence: The Declaration of Independence is_____.
5. What similarities among these documents do you find surprising? Compelling?