1. Discuss Moody reading.
Guided Reading Questions:
1. Why does Mama cry every time she is expecting a baby?
2. Describe Essie Mae's nightmare.
3. Describe Essie Mae's early contacts with whites. How does she learn that whites and African Americans are different?
4. How does Essie Mae learn that “race” is a social construct (that society dictates who is “white” and who is “black")?
5. What happens between Essie Mae and Mama as it pertains to church?
6. Who is Mrs. Burke? What does Essie Mae learn from her?
7. Is Essie Mae successful in school?
2. Quizzes returned. Please see these sample 10/10 quizzes: