- Key leaders: Patrick Henry, Richard Henry Lee, Mercy Otis Warren,
- What reasons did this group OPPOSE the ratification of the Constitution? What were there criticisms of the Constitution? Central government too strong, can't watch it, can't protect individual liberties. It was only benefiting the elites.
- Key leaders: Adams, Hamilton, Madison.
- What reasons did this group SUPPORT the ratification of the Constitution? Division of power, fear of anarchy and of losing order. Three branches, Judicial, legislative, executive. Balance out the powers of the different groups. Shared and divided power. Must have the consent of the people in order to make any of this to work.
- How many states were needed for the Federalists to get the Constitution ratified? What did they have to promise the American people? 9 out of 13 states, Virginia and New York were the key states in order to get things passed. Had to promise the Bill of Rights. Published the Federalist papers.
Are these groups. political parties? They are not political parties, they are Factions.
What 4 issues did the Constitution NOT DEAL WITH? Slavery, International threats (Great Britain and Spain), Indian crisis on the frontiers (Western settlement), & National debt.