Welcome to the Spring 2018 First-Year Seminar 1102 (finally ;). I'm looking forward to a great Spring semester!
- Brief introductions
- Overview of your learning community
- Join "1st Year Science at TAMUCC" on Facebook!! It's a great place to ask questions!
- Ice Breaker - Elevator Speech
What will be your Islander Impact?
Group discussion: Expectations for Seminar
Break into groups of about 4.
- Who was your instructor for seminar last semester?
- What did you really like about that experience?
- Discuss what you would like to happen in Seminar this semester.
- List 3-5 goals that you hope seminar will do for you.
- List 3-5 expectations that you have of me as your instructor.
Draw upon your experiences in seminar from last semester for inspiration.
After about 10 minutes we will share and hear some of the things your group has come up with.
Seminar WILL be different the second semester!
Homework- Work on your ppt intro and start thinking about potential research topics. Review the online syllabus and let me know if you have any questions and/or suggestions.
Bring your Biology book with you to Seminar this Tuesday/Wednesday, e-text is fine!
Any questions about the syllabus?
Here is a link to the Time Management activity. If you found it helpful, you might want to fill out the electronic schedule and print a new copy! Start thinking about your CV and Cover Letter which is due in a few weeks!
Today we will do a modeling exercise. By the time you leave class today, hopefully everyone will have a better idea of how in depth Dr. Moretzsohn expects you to know and understand the material in your textbook!
- I will divide you into 5 groups. Each group will choose one of these figures, then work together to thoroughly understand the concept it represents. Make sure everyone in your group understands and can explain it on their own!
- Then, I will count you off in to new groups, and you will each be responsible for teaching your new group about your original figure.
- 19.16 vs 19.18
- 20.12 (20.11 old ed)
Other Key Figures
- 20.15 (20.14 old ed)
Homework - Upload your ppt intro to BlackBoard (due before you come to class on Wed/Thursday) and be thinking about potential research ideas.
Wednesday and Thursday
We will look at your ppt intro during class Wed/Thursday this week and share your Islander Impact ideas. Then, we will interview each other to help you decide who you would like to work with for your research project.
Next Tuesday during Seminar we will sign-up for teams. Keep thinking about research topics for the Interdisciplinary Research Experience Spring 2018 Some examples of topics can be found on the attached excerpts of schedules for the FYRC in 2015, 2014, and 2013. It is pretty obvious which presentations are from the Science Learning Communities!