From Last Time/Desde La Última Vez:
- We will discuss the readings on transfer the reading son Transfer, available in Blackboard
- You'll tell me the SUBJECT of your genre analysis--what topic that you are interested in are you going to do your genre analysis on?
"Forget your generalized audience. In the first place, the nameless, faceless audience will scare you to death and in the second place, unlike the theater, it doesn’t exist. In writing, your audience is one single reader. I have found that sometimes it helps to pick out one person—a real person you know, or an imagined person and write to that one."
John Steinbeck, Nobel Laureate for literature, born Feb27
2. Writing Activity Take the following poem:
And change it into:
- A short short story
- An email to your boss explaining why you were late for work last night:
- A travel brochure explaining why people should stop in the woods and night
3. Reading--We just covered it
- Transfer is the key to success in all writing courses
- Metacognition (reflection) is the key to learning transfer
- Mindfulness is a way to learn metacognition
- Reading mindfully is important to learning transfer in your writing
- Identify a topic you are interested in:
- (I will choose the need to spay and neuter animals as an example. You may not choose this.)
- Look for ways in which this topic is explored. Find several examples.
- (I would Google it; yes, it’s a verb).
- Analyze each according to the “matrix” on page 3 and 4 of the assignment
- Your essay can follow the structure on page 5 of the assignment; if you come up with another structure, that is OK, too.
5. Next Time
Bawarshi in Blackboard
Work on your Genre Analysis
I Will Ask
- What your topic is for your analysis
- If you want to wrap this unit up before or after spring break