F''rom Last Time/Desde La Última Vez:
- Literacy Autobiography Due
- Published in your web folio
- Saved as a single document in word and submitted on Blackboard
- Read Bawarshi in BB
"If I see an ending, I can work backwards."
Arthur Miller, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Death of a Salesman, on how he plots his stories. Born October 17th.
2. Writing time
- Free topic
- Pair Share
4. End of Unit I Assessment: Take out a piece of paper and answer the following questions:
- What did you learn about the discipline of writing studies from your literacy autobiography (you can refer to the readings, your own writing, or both?
- What, if any, problems have you had with setting up your web portfolio?
- One thing that is working well in this class for me is __________
- A way this class could be improved is _____________
- (Optional) List anything else you think I should know
5. Briefly discuss their answers and collect them
6. Another hosting platform, recommended by a classmate:
- Discussion of it
7. Genre: Do EACH of the following activies:
- Text someone about something
- Write a social media post. If you want, complain that your prof is making you do it. Post it
- Write me an email in which you Give me the URL of your web portfolio.
- Write a list of everything you have to get done by the end of the day. (on a post-it)
- Write a four line poem about anything (in your journal)
Also in your journal, write briefly (sentence or two only) on the following
- What did you do when you wrote each of these different kinds of writing?
- Caroline Miller says "Genre is social action." Based on what you just did, what do you think she meant?
- Two different meanings of genre (French vs. Latin)
- Social purposes
- Helps ups better to understand writing as focus, active tasks (5)
Useful for teaches
- Helps students see the purpose of/reason for/ applicaition of writing
- It's a way to teach for transfer
Genre is not formula or literary tradition; it's a set of different ways of being in the world.
Thursday Oct 19
- You have an independent assignment that will be accomplished in lieu of class
- Read Devitt, in Blackboard.
- Do the following internet genre activity
- Find a good definition of a "meme"
- Find three memes you think are funny (download them or record the URL)
- Find three memes that you get that you don't think your parents (or I) would get (download them or record the URL)
- Find three memes that you don't understand (download them or record the URL)
Next Tuesday Oct 24
- Write Weekly Reflection 6 (On Bawarshi and on Devitt); submit in Blackboard
- Read Freedman and Medway, in Blackbaord
- Be prepared to answer roll, in class, with your answers to Thursday's activity