1a. Extra Credit
- Sleep Dealer Wed, Oct. 12 at 6:15 pm UC Anchor Ballroom
- Kevin Conannon, Your Host
- Sign in
- Write a one page reaction--half summary, half your reaction to film and discussion
- Due the following Monday via email.
2. Questions? Answers?
3. Other "Straight to Audio" sites:
There are literally dozens of these.
4. Exile's Honor
- What do you notice technique wise?
- Point of view?
- Character development?
- Other things?
- Why doesn't the novel end with Sendar's death?
- What purpose do the following serve:
- Alberich's temporary role as the Queen's Own
- The "Old Woman" spy interrupting the Queen at court
- The rescue of the Tedrel children
- The funeral procession
- Why does Alberich, a foreigner, particpate in Selenay's coronation?
- The very last scene . . . in the temple of the Lord of Light
- The little boy?
- The closing scene
5. Take out a sheet of paper.
- One thing you have learned that was of value:
- One thing you would like to learn more about
- One thing you think we/I should definitely keep doing
- One think you think we/I should stop doing or should modify in some way
Turn these in.
6. Workshop time:
- Get into groups of two or three
- This is non-threatening, simple response. Authors get practice reading to a real audience other than the cat. The cat gets a break. Audience reacts as readers. YOU ARE NOT EDITING OR CORRECTING at this point. You're reading rough drafty stuff.
- No apologies or explanation! Your work stands on its own--or it doesn't.
- Read what you've written (may need to limit it to one page, depending on time)
Audience respond in the following manner:
- Praise--One VERY SPECIFIC thing you liked.
- Question--What would you like to hear more of or to learn more about?
- Wish--If the author were to continue this, I wish she would . . .
7. Next time:
- Page count due by 5 pm on Friday
- Weekly reflection due before class on Tue
- Card, "Commerce, Trade and Law in Contemporary Fantasy."