From Last Time:
- Get or bring two definitions of literacy (to share with the class)
- ReadBaron in the Reading Library
- Write Your first weekly reflection (Over the Lindemann reading only); assignment and submission are in Blackboard.
1. Attendance, discussing autobiographical essays.
2. NO COMPUTERS TODAY. SCREEN MUST BE OFF. All class work must be done using the number two pencil I provide you.
3. Writing time: Free topic.
- Pair share
- What did you write about?
4. General questions about life, the universe, and everything?
5. Share definitions of literacy that you brought
- Choose some
- Textbook definition
- Discuss two examples
7. Baron readings?
Stages of technology
- restricted function
- mediated for the public
- wide adoption
Humanists and technology
- Writing as tech
- Initial distrust
- Early systems
- Not spoken language--different function
- "Great divide"
- The Phone
- Old technologies become invisible
- Origin of pencil (and rubbers)
- Trailing edge
- These changes happen and become the norm
8. In your journal, apply Baron's "Three Stages" to smartphone technology
9. Discuss the first major assignment.
- This is also now available in BB
- Peer Review Oct 14; it is due the 17th.
10. Next time:
- Read Brice Heath in the Reading Library
- Write, in your journal, on one of the "Reflecting on your experience as a Reader" on page 2 of your Literacy Autobiography Assignment. You will answer roll by reading aloud what you have written.