From last time:
- Read Brice Heath in the Reading Library
- Write, in your journal, on one of the "Reflecting on your experience as a Reader" on page 2 of your Literacy Autobiography Assignment. You will answer roll by reading aloud what you have written.
1. Attendance By reading your journal entries.
2. Discussion of Journal Entries
3. Exploration of the Literacy Autobiography Assignment
4. Writing Time
- Pair Share
- Look at the stats: http://time.com/9549/the-5-least-literate-cities-in-america/
- Look at the way the studies was done
- Is there a problem or bias in the stats
6. The "Great Divide" theory in literacy
- Some ways to look at it: http://oxfordindex.oup.com/view/10.1093/oi/authority.20110803095905389
- Alternatives http://visual-memory.co.uk/daniel/Documents/litoral/litoral1.html (Harvey Graff paragraph)
- This is what "social construction" looks like, which is one of the central themes of Writing Studies that writing, learning, and meaning all arise out of specific contexts
7. A note about me and my funky weird background
8. Brice Heath
- Literacy Events (445) (446)
- Purposes for reading
- Note church, and the contrast between written and oral communication in that context
- At work (Bias on "use" for institutional officials? 460
Ramifications for democracy?
- 3 ways of extracting meaning from print--attending text, bringing in experience relating to text, interpreting beyond text
- What does literacy mean to the community?
- What do the school reasons of literacy mean
- 465 uses of literacy
9. What's the point? How do we USE literacy? In what contexts does it occur? This is why we're reflecting on our OWN literate Practices.
- Look at the Jakobson model from last week again:
- How does what we have read for this week deepen your understanding of this model of the writing/communication process?
10. Studio time, if time.
11. Next time:
- Read Farr in the Reading Library
- Write Your second weekly reflection (Over Baron and Brice Heath); assignment and submission are in Blackboard.
- Write, in your journal, on one of the "Reflecting on your experience as a Writer" on page 2 of your Literacy Autobiography Assignment. You will answer roll by reading aloud what you have written.