From Last Time
- Get all needed stuff
- ReadLindemann in the reading library
- Write A getting to know you paragraph (What you want me to know about you; also include good contact info
1. Writing Time
- What is one of the first things you remember reading OR writing? (Choose one)
- Write for ten minutes
- Pair share
- Come get a headset, plug it in, and make sure it works
- Collect the "Getting to know you Paragraph"
3. Review of how your plans for World Domination are going
4. Questions so far?
5. Class activity
- Chose one of the three following interviews
- Open up a word document.
- Transcribe the first minute of the interview you chose. Render it on paper. You will have to make a number of choices in terms of format, etc.
- Email me a copy
- Share what we've found
- What were some of the challenges we faced in doing this exercise?
- Anything else you noticed?
- General conclusions you can draw about the differences between speaking and writing?
- Review of definition of writing
- Look at the definition of writing given on page 10
- Note the communication triangle
- Explore its elements
- Look at the Jakobson model.
- Review Each element
- Addresser 11
- Addressee 12
- Reader vs. Audience
- Audience Addressed vs. Audience Invoked
- Context 14
- Message 14
- Contact 15
- Code 15
- Note the 3 elements of the English graphic system on 16
- can you read the OE passage on page 17?
- look at the ramifications of the chart on page 20:
- Note that, the kind of writing you do is shaped strongly by the element you emphasize the most.
8. Thoughts? Questions?
9. Next time:
- Get or bring two definitions of literacy (to share with the class)
- ReadBaron in the Reading Library
- Write Begin work on Literacy Autobiography. Bring questions!