Welcome to Texas A & M Corpus Christi and Learning Community E: Courage, Conviction, & Composition!
Quick Write (about 5 minutes) What's Your Spinach???
Learning Community E Key Players for Sections 250 and 251
- Seminar -- Professor Hartman
- History -- Dr. Wooster
- Writing and Rhetoric -- Professor Burnett (that's me!)
- Most importantly, you folks!!!! Okay, let's get to know one another!
Big Picture Ideas
Theme ---"Courage, Conviction, and Composition"
LCE Policies in Nutshell -- NO LATE WORK and NO CELL PHONES VISIBLE IN CLASS!
What will we be doing in this class?
- Using reading, writing, and research to foster critical thinking!
- Using reading, writing, and research to solve problems!
- What does courage and conviction have to do writing/composition? What does it have to do with history? What does it have to do with YOU?
- Writing Studies Threshold Concepts (NWWK)
- Habits of Mind
- Key Terms
- Information Literacy Framework
- Books and Online Materials
- Adler-Kassner, Linda and Elizabeth Wardle, eds. (2016) "Naming What We Know: Threshold Concepts of Writing Studies, Classroom Edition." Logan, UT: Utah State UP. (Required)
- ACRL. (2015) Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education. (Suggested, Supplemental, Free Download)
Recipe for Success in this Class
- Come to Class! Be on Time!
- Do you work!
- Respond to feedback and make adjustments!
- Seek help and make use of the resources available to you!
- Practice good communication skills
- Adopt a problem-solving mentality (as opposed to problem-posing mentality)
Modes of Communication --Let's Log on Today!
- Blackboard - I will keep grades in Blackboard.
- Wiki - Daily class plans and Major Assignment descriptions will be kept here on the Wiki
- Email - Please check your Islander email account frequently. I like to email.
- ''Naming What We Know" -- Concept 3 (This means you must purchase the book!
- 3.0 Writing Enacts and Creates Identities and Ideologies (Scott 48)
- 3. 2 Writer's Histories, Processes, and Identies Vary (Yancey 52)
- 3.3 Writing Is Informed by Prior Experience (Lunsford 54)
- "The Joy of Reading and Writing: Superman and Me" by Sherman Alexie
- Your syllabus!
Bring to class on Tuesday a 2 page type written document let's me know who you are as a reader and writer. That is to say, how are the acts of reading and writing connected to your identity? What are your prior experiences with reading and writing! Feel free to make some connections to the Alexie piece and/or the sections in NWWK!