- Do you want to use a laptop in large lecture?
- Questions, Comments, and Concerns?
- Please look at the Blackboard announcement Dr. Zoccolillo sent out this morning!
Personal Assessment Recap
- How did it go?
- What about APA?
- Who is self-actualized?
- Who is Mahatma Gandhi?
- Remember the Reading Quiz in Psychology is due when???
- Answer: Before Psych Class on Wednesday!
Reading Activity - Working with Journal Articles
Questions to Consider
- What is a peer-reviewed journal article?
- Who reads a peer-reviewed journal article?
- Why peer review?
- What kind of information is presented in a peer-reviewed journal article?
"Laptop multitasking hinders classroom learning for both users and nearby peers" - Reading Strategies''
- Activate Background Knowledge
- What do you know about "multitasking" and do you do it?
- Do you use a laptop?
- Scan and Predict
- What is this article going to be about?
- What stance is it going to take?
- How many pages is this article and how long will it take you to read this thing given its level of difficulty?
- How is the article organized?
During Reading Strategies
- Keep Activating Background Knowledge
- Read with Purpose! What kind of information do I need to get out of this particular article? (Skip or skim parts that are not needed! Focus intently on the target info and reread if necessary)
- Take notes or mark on the article!
- Think Aloud (Record yourself or read with a friend)
- Write a summary for each paragraph (and then at the end for final summarization)
- Practice active reading by asking question of the text
Let's Create a Mini-Annotated Bibliography
- Pull 5-7 important quotes
Your Next Assignment: The Mini-Annotated Bibliography
- Your Need and Article
- The Annotation Assignment Description