Homework due Today
- For Show-And-Tell on Monday, everyone needs to bring in one advertisement from a magazine for an activity that we will be doing on Monday.
- Everyone needs to bring a printed copy of the new essay to class on Monday!
Let's Practice Writing Under Testing Conditions
- We are going to transfer to the Writing Lab.
- You need to log in to Blackboard and click on the Content link.
- There, you will find an assignment with an essay prompt.
- Spend the rest of class working through the writing process to complete the essay.
- Prewriting -- brainstorming, mind-mapping, bubble-mapping, clustering ideas.
- Revising and Rethinking
- Editing and Polishing
Make certain to work in the submission window. Don't put your essay in the comments box! Grrr!
If you look at the assignment on Blackboard, you will notice that it has rubric attached to it. Take a look at the rubric and see how the points are distributed.
- Purpose and Focus – The extent to which you present information in a unified and coherent manner, clearly addressing the issue.
- Organization and Structure – The extent to which you order and connect ideas.
- Development and Support – The extent to which you develop and support ideas.
- Sentence Variety and Style – The extent to which you craft sentences and paragraphs
demonstrating control of vocabulary, voice and structure.
- Mechanical Conventions – The extent to which you express ideas using Standard
- Critical Thinking – The extent to which you communicate a point of view and
demonstrate reasoned relationships among ideas.
Homework for Tonight
- Analyze your advertisement to determine the following:
- What is the purpose of this composition? What is it trying to do?
- Using context clues, draw some an inference about who is the intended audience for this piece. Think here of specific demographic groups. Make a claim about who the intended audince is.
- What were the elements in the advertisement helped you to determine the audience?
- How does the advertisement try to achieve its purpose?