Here were the Common Problems with this Assignment
Missing the Point of the Assignment Problem
- Some of you turned in a document that was more a report on your research topic. This was not what the Writing Project 3 Proposal was asking you to do. Consequently, you probably did not make a very high grade. Reading the assignment directions, attending class, and asking questions about assignments can really help you to avoid this kind of situation!
- Looking on the brighter side, students who made this mistake probably has some excellent content for the Academic Presentations.
- did not highlight the idea that writers must consider the rhetorical situation and make decisions about purpose, audience, and genre.
- did not provide enough context with a specific time frame or backstory to help the reader understand what was going to follow.
- did not have a definitive thesis statement or statements that provided a "blueprint" for the rest of the paper!
- was not presented in a clear, explicit way, such that the reader had to piece together the purpose
- not enough logical reasoning provided
- not enough context provided for readers
- writer made assumptions that readers would understand and know about topic instead of spelling out
- no evidence was provided to support claims
- did not describe the features and conventions of the genre
- did not describe some of the limitations of the genre
- some writers identified a specific male or female audience, which was problematic in many cases
- For example, I just want female nursing students to get this information on Clara Barton in this brochure! What is problematic about this?
- Weak or not present
- did not revisit the choices for audience, purpose, and genre