- Study for Sociology!!
- If you have missed 2 or more days from this class, I advise you to come to my office hours so that we can discuss what is going on and how we can move forward successfully into the rest of semester!
- Everyone should plan to visit me during office hours to get help on your papers.
- Hopefully, everyone got in their homework about the skirt photo!
Revision Lingo --Let's Learn It!
When you go to the Writing Center, you might hear the terms, higher order concerns and lower order concerns. Think of HOCs as the basic foundation of your paper. Of course, you want to build a strong foundation for your paper in order to get your ideas, points, and message to your readers. Therefore, HOCs are very important. The 5 terms listed below are what you use to build a solid foundation for your paper. Our peer review today is going to focus on 3 major HOCs and making certain that everyone is following the assignment instructions.
- Thesis or Focus
Guidelines for Peer Reviewers
- As with any kind of purpose driven communication, you want to be specific and direct in your comments. In other words, the writer needs to have a good understanding of your intent and focus of comment. In a nutshell, avoid generic comments: be precise and specific.
- Handle with care! By this I mean, be certain to be respectful in your commenting language and be kind. You must negotiate a balance between being cheerleader and a critic. Being thoughtful and engaged in the process will help make for a successful peer review.
Our Peer Review Method for Today!
For the first 20 minutes of the class
- Pick partners and select who is going to be the Peer Reviewer and who is going to the Writer.
- Work through the paper by reading it out loud and discussing it together!
- Start working through the Peer Review Worksheet. The Peer Reviewer should be in charge of the essay and the "Writer" should be in charge of filling out the worksheet.
At 8:30, Partners needs to switch and tackle the other essay.
'''Once both papers have been peer reviewed and Worksheet is completed, make certain that each writer gets his/her worksheet. You will need to keep this and turn it in on Thursday! You will use this Worksheet to come up with a revision plan!
'''The Last 15 minutes of Class -- Writers should spend time reflecting on what they learned and come up with a basic revision plan.
- Upload a Rough Draft #2 to the Discussion Forum in Blackboard!
- Study for Sociology