- Remember that you do not have class on Friday BUT you do have an online assignment. See Friday's class plans for details:
- Word --Resources for both the Critical Analysis and the History Exam --- Use them!
Turn in Your Critical Analysis Draft ... But First ...
At the top of your paper, please tell me what area you'd like feedback:
- Historical Context (content)
- Rhetorical Analysis (content)
- In-text citations
- Works Cited list
- Grammar/usage/sentence structure/paragraphs
Please make sure you submit a printed, stapled draft. I can't accept these late, per the LC E policy!
Now, Access the Electronic Copy of Your Draft for Peer Review
Revision Lingo --Let's Learn It!
'''When you go to the Writing Center, you might hear the terms, higher order concerns and lower order concerns. Think of HOCs as the basic foundation of your paper. Of course, you want to build a strong foundation for your paper in order to get your ideas, points, and message to your readers. Therefore, HOCs are very important. The 5 terms listed below are what you use to build a solid foundation for your paper.
- Thesis or Focus
Guidelines for Peer Reviewers
- As with any kind of purpose driven communication, you want to be specific and direct in your comments. In other words, the writer needs to have a good understanding of your intent and focus of comment. In a nutshell, avoid generic comments: be precise and specific.
- Handle with care! By this I mean, be certain to be respectful in your commenting language and be kind. You must negotiate a balance between being cheerleader and a critic. Being thoughtful and engaged in the process will help make for a successful peer review.
Our Peer Review Method for Today!
For the first 20 minutes of the class
- Pick partners and select who is going to be the Peer Reviewer and who is going to the Writer.
- Work through the paper by reading it out loud and discussing it together!
- Start working through the Peer Review Worksheet. The Peer Reviewer should be in charge of the essay and the "Writer" should be in charge of filling out the worksheet.
At 9:20, Partners needs to switch and tackle the other essay.
Once both papers have been peer reviewed and Worksheet is completed, make certain that each writer gets his/her worksheet. You will need to keep this and turn it in on Thursday! You will use this Worksheet to come up with a revision plan!
The Last 10 minutes of Class -- Writers should spend time reflecting on what they learned and come up with a basic revision plan.
- Study for your History Exam!!!
- Keep on with The Writing Process for the Critical Analysis by using the Peer Review Feedback to do some REVISION.