Spring Break is Almost Here!
- Unit III Exam DUE BY MIDNIGHT
- THE NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION SURVEY IS HERE!
- We want feedback from our first-year students so we can make the Orientation experience, now known as ISLANDER LAUNCH, even better.
- The seminar section(s) with the highest RATE of participation (completed surveys only) will win a pizza party! Make sure students put the seminar section at the top of the survey.
- We will keep the survey open until Friday, March 23.
- New Student Orientation Survey
Let's Turn-In Your Homework
Conference Proposal and Abstract for FYRC
To complete this assignment, you should use the SAME TOPIC and research that you are doing for the Individual Informative Presentation in Communications.
Later in the semester, TAMUCC offers freshmen students the opportunity to present their research at a bona fide academic research conference. This the First Year Research Conference. In order to be eligible to present, students must apply to the FYRC selection committee by submitting 2 short pieces of writing:
- The Abstract
- The Proposal
My assignment here for you is designed to provide the following:
- to give you some practice with this kind of academic writing
- to get you actively working on and thinking about your Individual Informative Presentation
- to encourage you to think about submitting your work for consideration to the FYRC
Your Purpose for the Abstract
- Your purpose is to sell your presentation as interesting and full of academic merit!
- 50-word abstract for FYRC: The abstract should read like an advertisement for your presentation. If accepted, your abstract will be printed in the program. The program will help the audience decide which presentation they want to attend.
Purpose and audience are different for the Proposal: you want to convince the conference judges to accept your proposal because you are offering a sound academic argument based on evidence and logical thinking.
Proposal should make 5 basic moves!
- Begin with a strong, explicit statement about purpose --- The purpose of this proposal is .....
- Follow with 2 to 3 sentences of background information. This is where you cite academic sources from your research, using APA.
- Then add a sentence or so about the "so what" -- So what statements are about significance. Why this research or subject is important!
- Concluding statement comments on the findings of the study.
- Make certain to include a Works Cited list at the end for sources cited in the proposal, using APA.
Activities for Today
Practicing for your Presentation: Sample Speech Outline
Let's take turns, running through the introduction of your speech!
INTRODUCTION (everything here should be written word for word):
- Attention Getter
- Credibility Statement
- Relating to the Audience
- Central Idea Statement
- Preview of Main Points
- Directional transition: (Summary/Preview)