Working with the Obstacle Essay
The Naked Thesis Statement
Here is an example of what I am calling a "naked thesis": Any obstacle or disadvantage can be turned into something good.
It does the very basic work of a thesis statement by staking a stand and presenting a claim, but something is missing ...
This kind of thesis statement could be considered weak or "naked" for the following reasons:
- It merely copies the language of the prompt, and it does not add any of your thinking and ideas to the mix.
- It does not provide enough information about "how" or "why" or "in what circumstances" can an obstacle be turned into something good.
- It is too broad in scope. Focus here on the word "Any" obstacle, which covers all obstacles. That's a lot of territory to cover.
Let's Dress up this Thesis Statement
- Narrow the scope of your claim
- Provide a "how" and/or a "why" and "in what circumstances."
- Most obstacles can be turned into something good if you adopt a proper mental outlook and attitude when facing adversity.