"What, to the American slave, is your 4th of July? I answer: a day that reveals to him, more than all other days in the year, the gross injustice and cruelty to which he is the constant victim." ~Frederick Douglass (July 5th 1852)
Welcome Back to Summer Prep Academy for Writing and Reading - Week 4
- How did you celebrate your 4th of July?
- Create a list of six words you feel are strongly associated with the 4th of July holiday.
- Okay, now, let's share!
Critical Thinking and Discussion about Writing - Moving Beyond the 5 Paragraph Essay and the TSI
- Writing goes into the world and makes things happen.
- Writing mediates activity.
- Writing is malleable tool.
- Writers must consider purpose and audience.
- Writers rely on process to create strong pieces of writing - prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, and publishing.
(Transfer to the Writing Lab)
Reflection on Reading and Writing
New Essay Prompts:
- Preemptive war has long been discussed as an option to prevent certain countries that are viewed as dangerous or unstable from acquiring nuclear weapons. Please write a 5-paragraph persuasive essay discussing whether you support or oppose the idea of a preemptive war for this purpose.
- NSA wiretapping and spying policies have been a topic of interest lately with much discussion taking place over the need for security as it relates to the right of individual privacy. Please write a 5-paragraph persuasive essay discussing whether you support or oppose government collection of private data for the purpose of national security.
Writing Goals for this Essay
- Strong Thesis statement that takes a stand and offers some reason or explanation in response to the prompt. You might need to qualify your thesis to limit its scope.
- I oppose the idea of preemptive war in most situations because ....
- I support the idea of preemptive in situations where there is compelling evidence that there is an imminent threat to our nation because ....
- I oppose the government collection of private data for the purpose of national security because ...
- I support the government collection of private data for the purpose of national security because ...
- 3 well-developed body paragraphs that support thesis statement and demonstrate complex, critical thinking.
- Illustrations that show cause-and-effect
Remember these essay prompts are focused on issues that are complex. It is important to embrace that complexity to some degree in your writing. It will be difficult to do so in a 5 paragraph format because it is so brief.
- For Show-And-Tell on Monday, everyone needs to bring in one advertisement from a magazine for an activity that we will be doing on Monday.
- Everyone needs to bring a printed copy of the new essay to class on Monday!