Word Choice Issues
Writers have to spend a lot of time developing ideas into a full-fledged essay or presentation. They must construct and compose paragraphs. Each paragraph is comprised of a collection of sentences. Each sentence is made up of words. Words are the basic building blocks used by writers. Subsequently, writers need to pay considerable attention to word choice.
- What is connotation? What is denotation?
- Word Choice Problem -- You decide:
- The Grimke Sisters fought viciously for women's rights and the abolition of slavery.
- Word Choice Problem -- You decide: Apart or a part
- Clara Barton being apart of the American Civil War was important.
Writers need to express themselves in a clear and direct fashion that is explicit and specific. Using details and examples and citing sources can make a piece of writing stronger. Avoid vague, generic, or empty statements. Avoid overstatement.
- Evaluate the second sentence here. What do you think the author meant by this statement?
- In 1782 Deborah Sampson dressed as a man and fought in the Revolutionary War. She changed everything.
- Evaluate this sentence, bearing in mind that writers should avoid making generic statements.
- During this time period we had people who wanted to keep equality with everyone and everybody.