Contending Voices Chapter 1: "The Cross and the Sword in Spain's New World: Bartolome de Las Casas and Hernan Cortes" p. 13
Source 2: ''An Aztec View of the Temple Massacre (ca. 1550)"
On Monday, Professor Bray asked you to rhetorically analyze several images. She asked you to look at an image's argument.
- What was the image trying to convey?
- What is the context of the image?
- and What appeal does the image have?
By now, you should have read or (at least) dutifully skimmed over Chapter 1 in your CV textbook. As a class, we will critically and rhetorically analyze the image on p. 13 of CV.
- What is the historical context of this image?
- What was the artist trying to convey in this rendering?
- What stands out to you? Is there anything that you would say is significant or moving in this image?