Divide into your Writing Groups!! (WHO?? - Get into the groups you did the Scavenger Hunt with!!)
1. Read Sections 1 and 5 of the 14th Amendment
The Fourteenth Amendment:
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
Section 5. The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.
2. As a group:
- Analyze the language used in each section.
- In your opinion, what values are reflected in the Fourteenth Amendment? Are these values compatible with your ideas about a democracy?
- Why is this significant?
- Think about the context here!
- Why does it matter?
- Who would have been affected? How?