Listen to FDR's "Day of Infamy" speech
With a partner:
- Discuss FDR's use of rhetorical appeal - ethos, pathos, logos
- What was the purpose of this speech?
- Who was he addressing?
- What rhetorical techniques did he use to unite the American people?
- What words aided in his appeal?
- Did he believe the attack was deliberate/planned? Why?
- How does his use of time ("yesterday," "last night," "this morning," etc.) aid in his appeal?
- Why did FDR include other attacks in this speech? For what purpose?
- How did "fear" play part in this speech?
- Is there evidence of FDR's plan to intern Japanese Americans? - listen for the quote (4:30)
Now, listen to George Takei's story
- What stood out to you?
- How did Takei remember the internment camps?
- How did he explain why the Japanese were interned?
- How did the U.S. test detainees to check for loyalty?