First-Year Symposium Prep Time!
- First-Year Symposium: Questions about what this is?
- Visual Rhetoric= sending a message/making an argument without even opening your mouth; rather it is using images to communicate messages. By carefully choosing images, colors, fonts and design to get your points across, the audience will be able to understand what your perspective is on a topic.
- How to make a great poster board
- The first five tips are the most important to keep in mind when designing your poster board!
Let's start planning this out!
- And now for some practice! :)
- Powerpoint Template - This is a template to help you get started. Your presentation should have more slides!
Writing groups assemble!
- Think about your poster topic using the traditional questions that journalists use to tell a story: Who? Where? When? What? Why? How? In your writing groups, work together to help brainstorm some ideas.
- How can you represent your paper's historical context/background visually? Ideas?
- How can you make a solid connection to your current issue visually? Ideas?
- Help one another to brainstorm some ideas! :)
- Class discussion!
Wednesday - Mock-up presentation board review....Bring your boards to Seminar! DO NOT GLUE ANYTHING DOWN!!! Use tape to secure any visuals that you want on your board or just bring them with you. You may also bring the handout that you turned in today to aid in explaining your design.
FINAL DRAFT of WP3 is due FRIDAY!!
First-year Symposium is Friday, November 20th
Portfolio Due Monday, November 30th
Wooster's Exam is Wednesday, December 9th
- SI Sessions with Daniel Yzaguirre
- Monday, Island Hall (IH) 160 4-4:50pm
- Wednesday, Science and Engineering (EN)104 5-5:50 pm
- Friday, Island Hall (IH) 160 2-2:50pm
- Show up prepared with your lecture notes, textbooks and most importantly- QUESTIONS! :)
- Make sure you plan to go to SI sessions weekly! It has been proven to help students increase their course grades by at least a letter grade!