- Unpack the question
- 5 parts
- each has multiple points
- Explain Standing Bear's significance?
- What defines someone's or something's significance according to historians (Munoz)?
- What is Standing Bear's story?
- How does his experience reflect the "human trouble" of Manifest Destiny and Indian Removal?
- What does the phrase "human trouble" mean?
- What is Manifest Destiny?
- Who implemented these ideals?
- What are the four parts of Indian Removal? Discuss and provide examples/evidence for each.
- How would you compare Standing Bear's quest for Indian sovereignty to either Wovoka's or Sitting Bull's?
- What is sovereignty? Define the term.
- Who was Wovoka and why is he significant?
- Who was Sitting Bull and why is he significant?
- Which Indian leader's point of view would you have supported and why?
- What was Wovoka's POV?
- What was Sitting Bull's POV?
- Why do their concerns about Indian sovereignty continue to matter today?
- What connection have we made to contemporary issues?