Why are we here? Discussion...
Handout for Lecture Supplement #5 / brief discussion (Return to me on Monday, October 19th.)
Prep for Exam #2, Essay 1. Divide into your writing groups. As in previous exercises, each group will be responsible for gathering correct information for their section of the essay question. One student from each group will present their group's findings to the class.
1. Anti-Federalists like Patrick Henry and Federalists like James Madison argued bitterly over the ratification of the constitution. Using evidence from the lectures, the essay on Madison and Henry, and the Give Me Liberty! textbook, construct a thesis (argument) supporting EITHER position. Whichever stance you take, make sure to discuss the reasons for the constitutional convention at Philadelphia, the major themes and compromises at that convention, the process by which the constitution was ratified, and the debates within the Virginia convention. As you develop your thesis, make sure to anticipate criticisms from the opposing side, and explain why that opposition is unconvincing.
- Group 1: Information about Patrick Henry and the anti-federalists; his/their stance on the ratification of the Constitution
- Group 2: Information about James Madison and the federalists; his/their stance on the ratification of the Constitution
- Group 3: Constitutional convention in Philadelphia; major themes and compromises made
- Group 4: Process of ratification
- Group 5: Debate within the Virginia convention
Final discussion - Thesis creation indicating opposing views.
Exam #2 is on Friday, October 23rd. The exam will be in the same format and will be graded with the same expectations.
First draft of your Annotated Bib is due on Monday, October 19th.
Lecture Supplement #5 due to me on Monday, October 19th.
- SI Sessions with Daniel Yzaguirre
- Monday, Island Hall (IH) 160 4-4:50pm
- Wednesday, Science and Engineering (EN)104 5-5:50 pm
- Friday, Island Hall (IH) 160 2-2:50pm
- Show up prepared with your lecture notes, textbooks and most importantly- QUESTIONS!
- Make sure you plan to go to SI sessions weekly! It has been proven to help students increase their course grades by at least a letter grade!
On Monday we will be going over Essay #2. For Wednesday, you have the choice of either continuing to prepare for the essays (Essay #3) or we can play Jeopardy. Your choice!