Seminar: a small group of students, as in a university, engaged in advanced study and original reseach who meet regularly to exchange information and hold discussions
This class is designed for You!
First Year Seminar (FYS) is designed to help students achieve success, academically and socially, as they make the transition from high school and the real world to the university . The primary objectives of FYS are for students to:
- Explore the interconnections among the Triad courses;
- Develop critical thinking skills and significant learning;
- Clarify personal values, goals, and strengths;
- And develop the ability to learn through study, discussion, writing, cooperation, and collaboration
What Seminar Is
- A class to help you understand and prepare for assignments in large lecture and Composition.
- A safe place where you can develop and practice necessary college skills, like discovering your strengths, working cooperatively in groups, and actively participate in class discussions.
- A relaxing place to meet study partners and friends! :)
What Seminar Isn't
- A class that assigns its own major assignments
- Portfolios are the best way to track and evaluate your progress throughout the semester. They aren't difficult, but they give us an insight into what type of learning experiences you find significant. Reflecting on learning is actually a major part of the learning process. We will discuss your Portfolios next week when we look over the syllabus for this course.
- A study hall
- We will not spend every class working on materials for large lecture and Composition.
- I will not re-teach but rather briefly review concepts that your large lecture professor discusses in class!
- A free ride
- You DO get a grade for this class, which I assign.
- You are expected to attend class and participate.
- A waste of time
- This class is unlike any other course you will take at TAMU-CC. Remember that you or your parents (or somebody) is/are paying for this course, so I want to make sure you get your money's worth!
- Seminar is what YOU make of it!
What is my job?
- Seminar is a class designed for the students, so my job is to help YOU! If I'm not doing my job, please feel free to let me know!
Taken from Rita Sperry's 8/25/10 class plans. Thanks Rita!