Seminar: A seminar is, generally, a form of academic instruction at an academic institution. It has the function of bringing together small groups for recurring meetings, focusing each time on some particular subject, in which everyone present is requested to actively participate. It is essentially a place where assigned readings are discussed, questions can be raised and debates can be conducted. It is relatively informal, at least compared to lectures of academic instruction. (via Wikipedia)
First Year Seminar (FYS) is designed to help students achieve success, academically and socially. The primary objectives of FYS are for students to:
- Explore the interconnections among the Triad courses
- Develop critical thinking skills and significant learning
- Clarify personal values, goals, and strengths
- And develop the ability to learn through study, discussion, writing, cooperation, and collaboration
What Seminar Is
- A class to help you understand and prepare for assignments in large lecture and Composition.
- A safe place where you can develop and practice necessary college skills, like discovering your strengths, working cooperatively in groups, and actively participate in class discussions.
- A relaxing place to meet study partners and friends! :)
What Seminar Isn't
- A class that assigns its own major assignments
- The only major assignment is the integrated assignment in which you will create a meaningful, impactful piece of legislation (Constitutional amendment). You will present your ideas at the First-Year Symposium.
- A study hall
- We will not spend every class working on materials for large lecture and Composition.
- I will not re-teach but rather briefly review concepts that your large lecture professor discusses in class!
- A free ride
- You DO get a grade for this class, which I assign.
- You are expected to attend class and participate.
- A waste of time
- This class is unlike any other course you will take at TAMU-CC. Remember that you or your parents (or somebody) is/are paying for this course, so I want to make sure you get your money's worth!
- Seminar is what YOU make of it!
What is my job?
- Seminar is a class designed for the students, so my job is to help YOU! If I'm not doing my job, please feel free to let me know!
- It is your Seminar instructor's (my) duty to get you through your first semester as a University student. As your Seminar instructor this semester, it is my job to prepare you for what is to come next semester and the rest of your time here at TAMUCC.
Take from Rita Sperry's 8/25/10 class plans. Thanks Rita!