Welcome to Seminar!
"The Other Side"
- Watch this TED Video: Can a Divided America Heal?
- Consider these articles:
Respond to these questions. You will turn in a hard copy of your responses in Seminar on Tuesday.
(1) Have you had an experience where you met someone different from you and it changed your perspective? How did it impact you?
(2) What does empathy look like in the context of political discourse?
(3) What are characteristics of healthy political discourse? How can we talk about politics in healthier ways?
(4) Create a list of "Five Rules for Civil and Healthy Political Discourse" that you can use when you engage in political conversations.
- Extra Credit Opportunity: Attend the Open Mic Poetry Night put on by Islander Cultural Alliance for Black History Month. The event will take place Thursday, February 9th from 6:00-7:30pm on the 2nd floor of the library. To get extra credit, attend the event and write up a one page synopsis describing the event, your experience, and something that you learned from attending. Your extra credit synopsis is due Tuesday, February 14th in Seminar. Email submissions are not accepted.
- For Dr. Smith's Class: due 2/13 11:59 PM
- Chapter 1. Introduction to Texas History and Politics
- Chapter 2. The Texas State Constitution and the American Federal System
- Chapter 6. Local Governments in Texas
- Local Government: Weak or Strong?
- Quiz #3: Chapter #6
- Facilitation Group #1 needs to schedule their Group Conference with me sometime next week. Every member of the group needs to be present at the meeting. You must bring a completed lesson plan to the meeting or I will not meet with you.
- 2/16: Exam 1
- No Class on Exam day (2/16)!
- On-going Extra Credit Opportunity: Attend a meeting or event connected to the workings of the local government (i.e. City Council meetings, campaign events, etc.). To get extra credit, attend the event and write up a one page synopsis describing the event, your experience, and something that you learned from attending. Your extra credit synopsis can be turned in during Seminar. Email submissions are not accepted. Each submission is worth one point. You can accrue up to five points for this extra credit opportunity.