Welcome to Online Seminar!
Mindset and Success
- Watch the following video: The Power of Belief- Mindset and Success
- Write a 1-2 page reflection on the video addressing ALL of the following questions:
- The speaker shares this quote by Josh Waitzkin: "The moment that we believe that success is determined by an ingrained level of ability, we will be brittle in the face of adversity." What does Josh Waitzkin mean? What are your thoughts about his quote?
- Think back to a time when you faced adversity. What helped you to persevere, push through, and succeed in the face of adversity?
- What areas of your life do you speak to yourself in a fixed mindset voice? What specific fixed mindset statements do you tell yourself? How can you change those fixed mindset statements to be growth mindset statements? Write out your fixed mindset statements and underneath change them to be growth mindset statements.
- How have you made progress with your Semester Action Plan over the past week? What specific steps have you taken to move toward your goal? What challenges have you faced so far in making progress toward your goal? What adjustments might need to be made to overcome these challenges and keep pushing forward?
- Submit your reflection via Blackboard.
Now it's your time to create discussion!
You are required to do ALL of the following to receive credit:
- Find one online video on the topic of Growth vs. Fixed Mindset.
- Create a discussion post on Blackboard. Your discussion post must include ALL of the following:
- Post the link to the video.
- Write a paragraph describing what you found interesting about the video.
- Pose an open-ended discussion question about your video for your classmates to discuss.
- Watch a video posted by one of your classmates and respond to the discussion question that they posed in their discussion post.
- Next Tuesday (9/20) we will be back to meeting in person. See you in class!
- Sociology Exam #1 is one week from today (9/22)! Make sure that you are caught up on all of your assigned readings and that your class notes are organized and up to date!