Welcome to Seminar!
Norm Busting Assignment
- Norm Busting Assignment
- Example Norm Busting Video
- PowerPoint Template
- YouTube link or Video must be in the template. Whichever you use on the day of the presentations it must work during class time or you will have points deducted.
- Pick your groups of 4-5 classmates. Get into your groups.
- This Thursday, instead of meeting for seminar in our traditional classroom setting, you will be meeting with your norm busting groups to plan for this group assignment. You must complete the following and submit online via Blackboard by Monday (9/26) at midnight.
- Complete the Observational Study Design Template. Only one person needs to upload this document to Blackboard for your group to get credit.
- Submit a picture of your entire norm busting group (selfie) completing this document together - Please insert this picture at the end of the Word document so that you only upload one item into BlackBoard. Note: Anyone who is not present for the group photo will be counted absent and receive a zero for this assignment.
- Group Evaluation Form
- This will be turned in at the time of your presentation.
- Take 5 minutes to decide when your group will meet to complete the Observational Study Design Template.
Speed Dating....say what?!
- Clear everything off your desks except for your class notes and textbooks. Make two rows of desks.
- I will call out a study guide prompt and you and your partner will have 2 minutes to write down all of the main points from your notes and book that you can use answer the exam question. This should be a brain dump!
- When time is up, everyone will rotate one position and we'll repeat the process with another question.
Congratulations! You now have the beginnings of a study guide for Exam 1!
- Sociology Exam #1 is this Thursday (9/22)!
- Extra Credit Opportunity! Attend the Hispanic Heritage Month event, "Creating a Legacy- The Life of Hector P. Garcia" this week, write up a one page synopsis describing your experience of the event and one new thing that you learned from the event, and turn your synopsis in next Tuesday (9/27) for extra credit! The event will take place this Wednesday (9/21) from 2:00-3:00pm in the University Center, Anchor Ballroom B. Click here for more information about this event and Hispanic Heritage Month.
- This Thursday, instead of meeting for seminar in our traditional classroom setting, you will be meeting with your norm busting groups to plan for this group assignment. You must submit the planning activity online via Blackboard by Monday, (9/26) at midnight.