In groups, develop a discourse community utilizing and developing all six of Swales's characteristics.
- an agreed set of common public goals
- mechanisms of communication among members (newsletters, journals, etc.)
- one or more genres in the communicative furtherance of its aims
- participatory mechanisms primarily to provide information and feedback
- a lexis
- a level of membership with relevant content and discoursal expertise
After 20 minutes, students will display their discourse community to the class.