Discuss Essay #4 Homework & Turn In
A Peculiar Institution: Slavery in the Antebellum South
- Dealing with Multiple Perspectives
- Let's take a look at essay question number five !
- Let's work together to fill in the gaps !
Homework for Wednesday:
- Create a bibliography entry on:
Source 1: George Fitzhugh, "Slavery Justified,"(1850) Contending Voices, 198-199
Source 4: Hinton Rowan Helper, "The Impending Crisis of the South" (1857), Contending Voices, 202-203
- Write a one page annotation on the primary source answering these questions? Fitzhugh defended slavery by pointing to the worst features of northern society, while Helper attacked slavery by pointing to the worst features of southern society. How would you compare the men's treatments of life in the North and the South? From your understanding of American society in the mid-nineteenth century, whose views do you think are more accurate?