- Questions, comments, concerns...
- Discourse Community Activity
Discourse Community Activity
Now that we have an understanding of Swales's definition of a discourse community, we will apply his concepts.
Using Swales 2.3 (pp.471-473), groups will develop a discourse community utilizing all six characteristics.
Create and develop:
- an agreed set of common public goals (3-5 goals)
- mechanisms of communication among members (newsletters, journals, etc.)
- one or more genres in the communicative furtherance of its aims
- participatory mechanisms primarily to provide information and feedback
- a lexis specific to the community
- a level of membership with relevant content and discoursal expertise
After 20 minutes, students will display and present their discourse community to the class.
Reminders for Friday, March 21: