Welcome to Seminar!
Announcement: Your next major assignment is the StrengthsQuest assessment and a reflection which are due on October 20. Each of you will be receiving an email from me this week with a personal code for StrengthsQuest. This assessment may take you a fair amount of time to complete, so plan accordingly.
- October 20 - StrengthsQuest Assessment & Reflection due
- November 10 - Résumé and Résumé Review due
- December 11 - Final Portfolio and Genogram due
Handshake is a tool that TAMUCC Career Services uses to help connect all students and alumni with potential employers. Handshake contains on and off campus job opportunities and information about internships, Career Services events, and job recruitment opportunities. Also, you will need to have registered with Handshake before you can meet with a Career Counselor, so this assignment will help you prepare for future activities and assignments for this class.
This week, you will set up your Handshake account. If you have already set up your Handshake account, then you skip to the instructions about how to save your profile as a PDF.
- Go to http://career-services.tamucc.edu/Handshake%20/Student%20Guide%20to%20Handshake%20.html and follow the steps to set up your Single Sign on account and Handshake. Should you have difficulties during this process, please contact Career Services at (361) 825-2628.
- Once you have successfully completed the set up process, log into Handshake. Once you go through a few short questions asking you to choose strengths, interests, and organization involvement, you should see a page that resembles this.
- In the upper right hand corner you will see your name. Click the arrow, and a menu should pop up.
- Click on "My Profile."
- Set up your profile in Handshake by adding your educational institution(s); the most recent job(s) held; and any organizations, extracurricular activities, or volunteer experiences in which you participated within the last year.
- NOTE: If you have a resume, you may be prompted to upload it so that Handshake can automatically import your information into your profile. You may choose to do this or manually enter the information.
- Once on your profile page, you can choose to set your profile to public or private. If your profile is not complete at this time, you may want to keep it as private until you have completed all sections. This is a personal decision and you will not be penalized for choosing to make your profile private at this time.
- Submit a PDF of your profile page in BlackBoard. You can do so by following the directions below if you are using Google Chrome. If you are not using Google Chrome, you may choose to print and scan your file into a PDF format.
- If you are using Google Chrome, you can do so by:
- Hitting CTRL + P (on a PC) or Command + P (on a Mac)
- Under destination hit the "Change" button.
- Choose "Save as PDF".
- Click on "Save" and choose the destination where you would like to save the document. You can also choose to change the file name.