Submit Your Brainstorming Homework
Class Discussion...Next Steps for Research
- America History & Life:
- Go to the Bell Library Link.
- Click on "A-Z Databases"
- Stay in the "A's"
- Scroll down to "America History and Life"
- This is an EBSCO database...that has lots of cool bells and whistles. Once you click on an article you can:
- Get the MLA citation
- Click on the "PDF" or "HTML" icon on the left to read the full text of the article. If these aren't available, click on "Search for Full Text." Most of the time, this takes you to a different database that DOES have the full text of the article available to read or download.
- Capture the "permalink" to the article. This special link allows subscribers to the database (that's YOU!) to access the article directly. If you are off campus, you'll have to log in using your regular Islander sign on.
Words to the Wise:
- Stay focused as you explore possible topics. Ultimately, you will be able to say: "I am joining an ongoing conversation historians are having about ______________________________. I hope to find out _____________________________________ by exploring and researching this topic.
- Keep you eye on the prize: once you choose a topic and become knowledgeable about it, you will take a stand, and make an argument.
Please have the following ready for our Library Session on Wednesday:
- Either decide, or have a very narrowed idea of what you want to research for the rest of the semester. Remember, you can't stay broad. You'll need to narrow your topic to a specific aspect of your broader topic of interest.
- BRING QUESTIONS for the librarian. Play around in the databases. If you can't figure something out...this is why we're headed to the library.
- Make sure you bring your SandDollar card to the library on Wed. You must have this in order to check out books.
- You will be required to provide Prof. Marquez and me an "exit slip" from the library before you leave in order to get credit for attending the session. Stay tuned for details!
REMEMBER: DO NOT GO TO YOUR REGULAR SEMINAR OR WRITING CLASS ON WED. INSTEAD, EVERYONE WILL MEET ON THE 2ND FLOOR OF THE BELL LIBRARY IN THE LIBRARY INSTRUCTION ROOM AT 11AM SHARP.