Finding a Reason to Research & Write
Make sure you bring your brainstorming list that you wrote in Seminar on Wed. with you to class today!
What did you come up with and what's the next step?
- Exploratory Research
- DATE your topics before you get MARRIED to them! Find out what they're like!
- Credo Reference
- Your Text books!
Add to Your Brainstorming List
- Continue to list topics, possible sources, anything you think may help you.
- Stay focused as you explore possible topics. Ultimately, you will be able to say: "I am joining an ongoing conversation historians are having about ______________________________. I hope to find out _____________________________________ by exploring and researching this topic.
- Keep you eye on the prize: once you choose a topic and become knowledgeable about it, you will take a stand, and make an argument.
Log into Bb and respond to the following prompts:
- What new research did you conduct today in class? What did you find out?
- What are the top three topics you are considering choosing? What is your connection to these topics? Why do you find these topics interesting? Write a response for each of the three topics.
- What's your next step? What will you do to a) look for other potential topics, and b) narrow down your list? Be specific!
First, review the WP 2 assignment criteria. Click on all the links. Make sure you know what you're doing as you begin your research.
Next, continue to conduct exploratory research on all of your topics. This might include:
- Looking in the indexes of your Foner text and CV.
- Check out the Credo Reference database. Access this via the LC E Library Guide.
- Make sure you make a note of any sources you locate on your brainstorming list. You'll need these later!
- You should have at least 3 possible research topics you are considering. They may be similar. Remember, we're just dating right now.
- Add to your list that you created today. Note search terms you are using. Bring your updated brainstorming list as both a printed and electronic version to the library on Monday. This will count as a homework grade.
- We won't meet in CCH on Monday. Instead, we will meet in the Library Instruction room on the 2nd floor of the Bell Library for both Seminar and Comp! Come with lots of ideas for your possible research topic!