Writing about Music: Concert Reviews
What concert is this?
During the course of the semester, we will attend and write about three concerts. We will also do a final project on the role of music in our lives, especially as it relates to a topic TBD by Dr. Pool. Today we will begin exploring one of these genres of music writing (the concert review) by describing our first concert. If you have not been to a concert yet, describe your ideal music event. Use these questions to guide you:
- Which musician or group did you see?
- Describe the venue.
- Describe the crowd.
- How did you feel?
- Who were you with?
- Did anything unusual happen?
- Were they good live performers?
- What was the energy like?
- Would you recommend the show to others?
- Why or why not?
- How would you describe their sound to someone who had never heard them before?
HOMEWORK: For next time, look online and find a CONCERT REVIEW of a performer you like. The review does not have to be longer than a paragraph (it can be from a blog, etc). If you have easy access to a printer, print it out.