Due to illness I've canceled our 12:00 PM - 12:50 PM class today. I have rescheduled my afternoon office hours for tomorrow, 12 PM - 2 PM. In lieu of class today, please complete the following.
Before Seminar on Tuesday, February 28, please use this handout--Ten Questions for Fake News Detection--to do the following, and bring your work with you to class:
- Read the Week 6 PowerPoint in the PowerPoints folder on Blackboard. I have included video and audio content, and references at the end if you would like to read more.
- Go to the following link: http://dhmo.org
- Apply the checklist to the content on the above website, and answer the following on the back of the checklist or a separate document:
- Which flags does it raise on the checklist? Which checks does it receive?
- Is there anything you find on the site that does not have an entry on the checklist?
- After completing Steps 1-3, open the press kit from the home page and read the history of the website.
- Do you agree with the stated goal of the website? Do you think it accomplishes its goal?
- Check out the following news story. How does it characterize the website? How does it present the officials’ position? Do you think the description is accurate, biased, or false? http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4534017/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/local-officials-nearly-fall-ho-hoax/
- Bring your answers to the above questions and other thoughts to class on Tuesday.